Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Patient Zero Part 1 (Chapter 1-40)

Dear Damien,
I must say, you have a good taste in books. When I first picked up this novel I was doubtful. My first impression was, 'Great, another typical zombie apocalypse book.' This book however proved me wrong. The story starts off at a good pace and after the first few pages you can tel that the author has done his fair share of research. After the first few minutes of reading, I've read about different types of guns, government organizations as well as tactics used by federal agents. This was the thing that really caught my attention, the authors detailed description of everything is laid out perfectly almost making it feel like I have what it takes to become a secret agent. There's no doubt about it that this is a guy's book. Zombies, guns, fighting, and blood. What more could you ask for?

The main protagonist in the story is Joe Ledger, a Baltimore detective with a super ego. He used to be from the military and was no doubt, the top of the class. However, Ledger soon finds himself full of mixed emotions when he is recruited by a super top secret organization called DMS (Department of Military Sciences) to help stop a group of terrorists from releasing a deadly bioweapon that can turn ordinary humans in zombies.

The thing that gets me hooked onto the book is the action factor. It reminds me of a mix between James Bond and Bad Boys. What kid growing up didn't want to become a secret agent at one point? Through Jonathan Maberry's writing I feel like I'm with the character. The close attention to detail on everything is amazing and a little bonus factor is the science in all this. Much of the technical information in the novel is based upon actual science, with the few exceptions. So far I have gotten hooked onto the book already and it's growing more interesting with each chapter I complete. I can't wait to see how this plot unfolds and turns out.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to read that you're enjoying the book, Alvin. The second in the series, THE DRAGON FACTORY, just hit bookstores. In it, Joe Ledger squares off against modern day Nazis who are using cutting-edge genetics to complete the Master Race program. And in 2011 he’ll face off against THE KING OF PLAGUES, a secret society who are using modern versions of the Ten Plagues of Egypt as terrorist weapons to crash world economies.

    There are also two free Joe Ledger short stories available online: “COUNTDOWN” is a prequel to PATIENT ZERO (http://us.macmillan.com/CMS400/uploadedFiles/COUNTDOWN_free.pdf) and “DEEP, DARK”, which takes place just before the second book, THE DRAGON FACTORY. Here’s the link: http://jonathanmaberry.com/download-the-free-joe-ledger-story-deep-dark

    The series has been optioned by producer Michael De Luca (Seven, Magnolia, Blade) on behalf of SONY and is in development for TV.

    Happy reading!
    Jonathan Maberry

    ReplyDelete