Wednesday, September 14, 2011

[BC]: UC Prompt Rough Draft

I come from a world bounded by traditional Asian expectations, constantly surrounded by the pressure to become successful. Growing up, I was taught that success meant focusing on school to get good grades, going to a good university to get a degree, and finally ending up with a high paying job to support your loved ones. While this became my definition of success as an adolescent, my perspectives would gradually shift as I became older.
Although my parents had high expectations of me academically, my grades were never satisfactory to them. I was never the straight A student, but I would never be below average either. As a high school student, finding the balance between academics, having a social life, and sports is the biggest challenge. While going through school, I became more self evident and formed my own opinions. I started to realize that success can come in many forms other than through rigorous schooling. However, my parents would constantly compare me to their friends' children, saying how successful they were as doctors, or lawyers. I do not know if this tactic was used to serve as motivation for me, but I never felt motivated because I had no interest in becoming a doctor, or anything of the sort.
I believe that a person becomes successful when they are doing what have a passion for. It does not have to be a high paying job, or one that changes people's lives, just as long as they are doing what they love.  Even though my views of success have differed from my parents, I still want to be able to support them when they are no longer working. My parents do not believe that success and passion can coincide. I want to prove to them that as long as there is passion and motivation behind my actions, success will follow.

1 comment:

  1. I think that any job, regardless of whether or not it is considered "life-changing," is important. We all need all kinds of people who work all kinds of jobs for our society to function.
    Being a doctor may sound glamorous, but it is laced with many an emotional and legal turmoil if you are unfortunate, which all doctors are at some point. Lawyers also suffer some moral issues as well in order to make money. But all jobs require sacrifices, and all are equally needed.
    Things we consider hallmarks of modern society: technology, justice, entertainment, agriculture, health care... there are jobs in all of these areas that are just as fulfilling and important as any other!
    I guess what I'm trying to say is, all jobs change lives whether they want to or not. Having a job means contributing to a society of other people who will very likely benefit from your hard work!!

    ReplyDelete